Term-time only to July 2020
Accommodation with full board, and payment of £600 per month
The Artist in Residence role is central to the distinctive identity of Art at Bootham School and provides a vital real-world point of contact for students wishing to pursue a future within the visual arts. The Artist in Residence receives a personal studio space and access to all facilities, and spends the duration of the residency making work alongside A-Level students at the school.
We are seeking a practising Artist who can bring energy and contemporary knowledge to support and enrich the experience of GCSE and A-Level students. You will provide individual tutor support, specific technical support in your discipline and initiate a range of exhibitions and art projects.
If you are an Art graduate (in any discipline), with an interest in engaging students and broadening their passion and experience of Art, please see our website (details below) for further information on this exciting opportunity.
As part of the residential nature of the role you will be expected to provide a weekly art-based evening activity for boarding students and be involved in the life of the boarding house.
Closing date: 10am Wednesday 8th May
Interview date: Tuesday 21st May
Staff Supervised: None
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB: To enrich the learning environment of the Art Department and the school, working with and alongside students of all ages as a practicing artist. As part of the residential nature of the role you will be expected to provide a weekly art-based activity for students and be involved in the life of the boarding house, including weekly evening boarding duties.
- To maintain a personal practice working alongside the students
- To provide four hours of classroom support per week
- To provide four hours of activities per week as part of the Activities programme
- To be part of the rota of weekly boarding duties, alongside Resident Graduates –typically 8 hours weekly
- To arrange special exhibitions of students work within and without the environment of the school
- To work with the Head of Department and Art Teacher to maintain and refresh display of student art work within the department and around the school
- To organise occasional specialist events that promote involvement in the Arts across the school and the wider community
- To provide tutorial support to A-Level students on a one-to-one basis as required
- Be a practicing artist
- Educated to graduate level. Arts graduate preferred in any discipline
- Skills and experience to initiate a wide range of exhibitions and art projects
- Ability to bring energy and contemporary knowledge to support and enrich the experience of GCSE/AS and A-Level students
- Able to provide individual tutor support and specific technical support in your discipline
- Able to demonstrate flair of engaging students and broadening their passion and experience of Art.
This is a temporary appointment to July 2020.
The Artist in Residence will report to David Swales (Head of Art) and will receive accommodation and full board with payment of £600 per month. There may be opportunities for the Artist in Residence to earn further income at the school, or by pursuing external activities.
Please complete our application form to apply for this position.
Bootham School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All appointments are subject to a satisfactory DBS Enhanced Disclosure and other safeguarding procedures.
If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact Jenny at Recruitment@boothamschool.com