AFTER SCHOOL CARE SUPERVISOR at Bootham Junior School
3PM TO 6PM MONDAY TO FRIDAY during term time
This is a great opportunity, from September 2019, for a caring and capable person to lead our After School Care, providing a safe, inclusive and stimulating afterschool environment for children from 3 to 11 years.
You must have proven experience in working with this age group. NVQ Level 3 is preferred, as is a paediatric First Aid qualification, although first aid training can be given to the right person.
The salary is £18,106 full time equivalent; actual prorata salary is £6,008.
Closing date: 9am Friday 26th July 2019
Interviews: Wednesday 7th August
Job Title: After School Care Supervisor
Reports to: The Head of the Junior School
Staff Supervised: The After School Care Assistants
Key Contacts and Relationships: Children, parents, colleagues, the Head
Overall Purpose: To provide a safe, happy, relaxing environment for 3-11 year old pupils of BJS after the normal school day
- To plan and provide a stimulating range of age appropriate activities, ensuring the amenity is well-resourced and creatively set up to suit all children between 3 – 11 years including outdoor activities when appropriate.
- The After School Care (ASC) Supervisor is a capable individual with responsibility for caring for children and maintaining a high-quality, safe and stimulating environment
- To maintain appropriate staffing ratios at all times
- To maintain an ASC notice board and leaflets with details of the provision for prospective and current families
- To develop genuine bonds with the children and support colleagues to sensitively fulfil their responsibilities
- To reflect on practice and daily routines, tailoring them to meet the individual needs of each child.
- To be warm and responsive, working flexibly and effectively as part of a team to ensure the smooth running of the amenity.
- To create a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment for all children.
- To provide tea for the children and supervise the mealtime.
- To take a lead in ensuring the welfare of all children at the amenity, following systems and policies to ensure consistent, high-quality care.
- To liaise with parents, members of teaching staff and the Head.
- To work flexibly as part of the larger team, assisting and supporting colleagues wherever required, in order to ensure the smooth running of the school.
- To provide feedback and work in partnership with parents, carers and school staff, building and maintaining relationships that encourage trust, open communication and involvement in school life.
- To complete the necessary administration including providing information to the finance department, updating policies and submitting budget requests
Skills and Competences required in the role:
NVQ Level 3, or equivalent, preferred
Paediatric 1st Aid Certificate would be an advantage but training can be provided
Salary and hours:
3 hours per day, 3:00-6:00pm, Monday to Friday during term time
This role is paid at Bootham Pay Point 5 (£18,106 full time equivalent)
Actual pro rata salary for working 15 hours a week during term time £6,008
The Supervisor will be expected to remain on-site with any child who is not collected until parents arrive. A second member of the ASC team should be asked to remain behind with the Supervisor for late collections. Payment to staff will be made where this exceeds 15 minutes and parents will be charged.
It is expected that the supervisor may need to complete some administration outside of working hours for which payment may be available depending on amount of work undertaken.
This job description is not restrictive or definitive in any way and should be regarded as a guideline to the duties required, and may be amended in the light of changing circumstances following consultation with the post holder.
Bootham School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All appointments are subject to a satisfactory DBS Enhanced Disclosure and other safeguarding procedures.
If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact Jenny at Recruitment@boothamschool.com